Sunday, November 7, 2010

Adventures in Marathon Training

A short while after Jonathan was born, James bought me a book to help me train for a marathon. It was a goal I'd always thought was fantastic, and horribly out of reach. The book gave me hope, and motivation. I decided to go out for a run that day. When my 1 month old little man was happily asleep, I put on my sneakers, probably made it 3/4 of a mile, and went home feeling excited to be running again. I retired my running shoes, just for for a couple of days, and put them back on early this July.
This time I was serious about running, and about committing to my first marathon. I've been running 4 days a week, and loving and hating every minute of it.
Yesterday, for my long run, I set my alarm for 4:30. That way I had plenty of time to get lost on the roundabout my route would take me through, and still make it to work for 7am. I didn't open my eyes until 6, and I spent most of the day wondering how on earth I would run 7 miles after working 12 hours in SICU.
When I got home, James and I decided to have the chicken Kiev we'd been craving for most of the week, along with fettuccine and an amazing cream cheese sauce. After dinner, and 2 full episodes of Cake Boss, I laced up my Asics and asked James to help me with my Ipod (last time I started it myself, I ended up listening to the same A.C. Newman song for 3 1/2 miles). I left at 11:20 wondering if I was taking crazy too far. It reminded me of the times my brother and I had gone out running late at night, when we were in high school and needed a break from the world. It was nice to be out, in the peaceful dark, even if I did throw up in several people's lawns. Sorry, neighbors.
When I got to the roundabout, I studied my directions and diagrams and ran in a complete circle before calling James. About the time he answered, a sheriff pulled over and turned on his lights. I was grateful I hadn't been speeding. He was actually quite helpful; I told him where I was trying to go and he pointed me in the right direction. I also noticed that he circled the roundabout a handful of times afterwords; I suppose he worried I would get lost again.
Finally, I got to the end of my run. And realized that a few wrong turns left a diner where my house ought to be. Before I got home, I ran close to 9 miles and hurt everywhere. Maybe it's time to retire my shoes again, just for a couple of days.

2 comments:

  1. Did you ever see that episode where Michael Scott carbo-loads on fettucine alfredo before the race for rabies?! I'm impressed at your dedication!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh noes!! You are amazing! Sorry for the extra miles.... and yeah for cake boss! You are my hero... and I can never hope to be as awesome as you.

    ReplyDelete