Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I could not eat a bug. (Exept maybe when camping.)

As I planned out my schedule for work, I carefully plotted out a little cluster of days to set aside for a mini-vacation. It was ultra mini, as I am in the red for time off, but 4 days is plenty of time for a family vacation spent sleeping on an air mattress, sharing a tent with 2 small boys. James and I set out to Dick's to find a new canopy (our old, hand-me-down, originally from someone who bought it at a yard-sale, who probably got it from their pioneer ancestors, just didn't cut it anymore). As soon as we crammed the canopy into my little Hyundai Elantra, we saw a major problem brewing. "James, both of our cars are too small. Now we need to get an SUV." James is usually the more rational of the two of us. "No, we don't. One of us will just have to ride on the top, that's all." We rode in silence for a couple of minutes before James pulled into one of the millions of car dealerships in Syracuse. In the next two days, we became much more well-versed in car-shopping than ever before. James googled "dealer tricks" while I googled "how go get a car cheap." To be honest, I probably spent a little too much packing time trying to seal a deal on a Jeep Liberty or Rav 4. (By I, I mean we, by we I mean James, but it was based on my insistence- yeah). Long story short, we ended up taking my little car, packed to the gills with James' Tetris-like precision, and we still had room to breath. It was great.
I forgot when I was packing how cold the mornings can be camping, especially when little feet want to be moving at 5 am. I packed each of us only one pair of jeans and one sweatshirt, and Jonathan had his hoodie covered in gogurt by 5:45. Way to be, little dude. James washed it out and hung it up to dry, and it was ready by set of sun, just in time to be covered in marshmallows. (Yeah, good job mom- "here Jonathan, have a s'more!")
The thing that always gets me the most is how chill I am about bugs when camping. There was a bug in the sink when I went to wash my hands. Ordinarily, that would be a death sentence. But when you're camping, everything is different. As James would say, "you're invading his home"). So, the little bug in the sink got to live. Just like the bug in the shower. And the bug in the toilet. The bug in my soup, well, not so much; but it wasn't for lack of trying.

1 comment: