Sunday, June 28, 2009

thanks goodness for... cheese.

Lately Jonathan has actually found an appetite. I am not sure if it's his brother's love of food that has propelled this, but regardless of the cause, it's delightful. Provided I can give him something to eat within ten minutes of bursting through the door after church, he goes to bed with a full belly and life is good. When we got home today, I started working through my options. There's always the dependable PBJ, except we are out of bread. There are instant mashed potatoes, but that would require too many clean dishes. Perhaps something with Cheerios and raisins? As I was picking my brain, I suddenly remembered a little stash of ready made toddler meals in the cupboard. I was thrilled. I accidentally pressed the 3 minute button, which is cleverly very near the 30 second button, and about a minute later took out a nice steaming mess of mac n cheese. Jonathan recognized it instantly, and went running to his booster seat with expectant eyes. I quickly stirred it, blew on it, and set it aside, figuring it would be done by the time I got Jonathan stripped down and changed his diaper. No such luck. "Hoch, hoch!" he said, as he pushed a spoonful in front of my face. Once he was satisfied that I had blown long enough on his one little cheesy noodle, he shoved it in his mouth and reached for another. "Hoch, hoch!" This continued for about 8 or so rounds before I finally just plopped the whole bowlful in a plate, and quickly de-nuked it in the freezer. At one point I made the mistake of licking my mac'n cheese finger. Ewww. There are few things more disgusting than premade mac n cheese. Let's see-- there's Ethan diapers, cherry flavored medicine, and Chef Boyardee "meatballs."
As I laid the Monkey Man down for his nap, I was feeling quite accomplished. I actually fed my son, the non-eater. Just in this moment of euphoria, I came across the oatmeal from this morning-- sitting in a heap on the floor, right next to the bowl he raked his foot through moments before we left for church. Hooray for a day of eating. Yay for mom and Jonathan.

No comments:

Post a Comment