Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Personal Growth.

When James came home from his mission, he talked a lot about setting and reaching goals. He taught me that if you aren't trying to accomplish a task or stretch yourself in some way, you just will not be fully satisfied with your life. After some time, I decided to take violin lessons again. I pick my violin up every year around Christmas, so James and I can play O Holy Night, and possibly a few other random times throughout the year. It's not exactly like riding a bike. Anyway, I finally decided it would be worth the effort and money to go back to being a student. A woman at our church teaches lessons, and I somehow got over the mortification of having "tapes" put back on my violin. Congratulations, Danielle, you are officially back in 4th grade. Over the next several weeks, she began re-molding my bow grip, adjusting my finger positioning, and teaching me 14 syncopations for Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. I somehow found time to practice, and we got just to the point of learning more advanced things. I'm not sure what advanced things they would have been, but I'm thinking it might have possibly even been "Mary had a Little Lamb." About this time, she went on a month long vacation for Christmas. I was supposed to be practicing bowing my thigh to some special rhythm (I'm not sure why she wanted me to practice without the violin, except possibly to give my family a break of some sort), but never found the motivation the whole month long. I had just enough time for one hobby, and I decided I would rather bake than pretend my leg was a violin. As long as I make goals for myself (this week, a chocolate chocolate chip muffin that rivals Wegmans), I don't feel like a total slacker for giving up violin lessons. Again.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha!! Love it. Really was your teacher's fault for going on vacation, if you ask me :)

    Let me know if you find that recipe, I need to stop giving wegmans so much money!

    ReplyDelete