Sunday, March 29, 2009

Ethan's 1st haircut

I think it's a common, unspoken tradition for babies to get their first haircuts somewhere around their first birthdays. I am also fairly certain that it is a more common, and more binding tradition for all of the world's good mommies and daddies to save a lock for a remembrance book. Kinda weird, isn't it? Well, it is what it is.
Ethan, my bright-eyed 4 1/2 month old sweetheart, was not blessed with the greatest head of hair. It's always been kind of patchy, with a long strip on top which has alternately been styled into spikes or a unicorn horn for most of his young life. There was also, of course, the occasional spiked Mohawk, which I think is awesome, but the grandparents did not approve. Any way, yesterday was the day we set aside to assimilate our little patchy unicorn into the rest of society by finally doing something about that hair. Having been cut completely from hair styling privileges myself, we decided it was up to James to transform our son. He eventually decided, after a few hesitant near-attempts, that it wasn't worth the risk of lobbing off wiggly Ethan's little baby ears. Conservative. So, we took Ethan to the nearby Super Cuts for a really super cut. Somewhere between the car and the entrance, I realized I had nothing available for storage of said precious lock. At first I was panicked, but that melted away as soon as I realized it could be a golden ticket-- if I didn't have hair saved from my second son's first haircut, I was absolved from having to keep that silly bag of hair we have from my first son's haircut. It's all about fairness, and a motherly duty to keep all things equal. I was feeling very empowered- today was the day that I, Danielle, would throw away hair.
Of course, that dream was never to come to fruition, for as we were checking out, that blasted hairdresser produced a tiny keepsake packet that held Ethan's little baby hair. She apparently took me to be that kind of mom. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment