Tuesday, March 24, 2009

To punish, or not to punish?

My little Jonathan knows he is not supposed to play on the table. He is not welcome to anything that may be lying on the table. He knows.
So, here I am, making dinner (eggplant parm... :) and I turn around to find him with a freshly poured glass of water, sitting at the table. Five minutes ago I set him there with a juice box. Being a so-so housekeeper, I still had the Brita pitcher and an empty water glass sitting on the table from lunch time. My first thought is that I am so stinkin' proud of him for pouring a glass of water and not even spilling....much. My second is that he really shouldn't be playing on the table, and if I let it go, it will just reinforce to him that it's ok.
In the end, I decided not to punish him. After all, in his little 2 year old mind, mommy doesn't even know that he had to get on the table to pour the water. So I sit with him and help him drink it. I've created a monster. I guess if I am going to make one, I had better at least enjoy him.

No comments:

Post a Comment